Monday 8 October 2012

Somethings Coming... ooooh

You know, I think a totally effective film genre is what I can describe as 'Something's Coming'. Start with a setting and a growing ominous uncertain threat. Make it big, make it epic, then make several characters figuring out how to deal and survive with this new threat, eventually, despite all odds, overcoming. I have got to say that Spielberg seems to rely on this genre lots and lots. War of The Worlds, Close Encounters, ET, Indy 1, 2, 3, 4, Schindler's List, and Minority Report. Wait a second. *All* of his movies fit into this genre! This is clearly something to remember. In fact, I will assert at this moment that all of my œuvre from here out will use this genre, although they of course will adhere to the demands of each sub genre. Yet it will be in the background, as present and reliable as.... a Hawaiian screen saver (shiver, gasp, oh my!)

No comments:

Post a Comment